AudiOddities

Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's just...... Dinner Music!

I was debating just WHERE to post this album... first of all, CURSES BE TO MY DIGITAL CAMERAS!! I can't seem to get EITHER of them to get a pic so I can post the very bland and generic cover of this LP for you to gander in amazement at, or to get a shot of the label, which tells you even less.

So, I'll tell you what this collection is: Dinner Music. That's ALL the cover says. No artist info, nuttin'. Oh, yes, it is on a 10-inch Pontiac label 33 1/3 rpm disc. There's the clue! THese were sold for 79 cents each, made of some kind of polystyrene/shellac combination, and usually very very BAD. Or at least very very BORING.

As Peter Schickele once said: "These pieces were performed by an orchestra, under the direction of a conductor with a baton."

I didn't know whether to mar the mood of MoodieToonz with these exercises in blandness, or to stick them in the Oddities blog (this one)... I figured they were a little off-kilter, enough to put them here instead of there, and DEFINATELY not in the Shellac Shanty.

So, have some dinner music....

A Dream Of Love
Dreams
On Wings Of Song
None But The Lonely Heart
Calm Is The Night
Serenade
I Love Thee
I Love You Truly

Well, after listening to these terpsichorian trepidations, one wonders if this is music for dinner, or music to make you run from the dinner table into the Room of Relief. In some of these cuts it sounds like the orchestra is actually trying to get to the vomitorium.... but hey, whadd'ya want for 79 cents in 1952, rubber bisquick?

OK, here's a lousy pic of the cover....



and here's an even lousier shot of the label... I'll fix these as soon as I can get the damn camera to do what I want it to do...



I hate technology...

While we're at it, here's another wonderful Pontiac 79 cent record, Songs of Ireland. Yep, that's all it says, "Songs of Ireland". See for yourself...



Now, as you will all note, the tracks on the cover do NOT match what is on the label! Here's the label to prove it:



Here are the tracks as noted on the labels:

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen / Irish Washer Woman
Believe Me / Wearin' Of The Green
Come Back To Erin / Fisher's Horn Pipe
My Wild Irish Rose / An Irishman's Heart to the Ladies
Killarney / The Teetotaller's Reel
The HArp That Once Through Tara's Halls / Stack of Barley
The Last Rose of Summer - St. Patrick's Day in the Morning

The recordings themselves are, again, pretty pedestrian, but there are a couple of flashes of brilliance... we're not talking high-fidelity here, considering this is 1951 for this disc, and again a 79-center, but hey, not bad once you get the shellac noise out of these, and the discs were in pretty good shape, too.

I need to go to bed.

I still hate technology...

6 Comments:

  • What's the release number of Dinner Music ? Just to make sure that it isn't in the disco -- you never know...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM  

  • The DInner Music release is P-504, the Songs of Ireland is P-522

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 12:53 AM  

  • Er... this wasn't a critic of your expertise with the camera...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 AM  

  • Aw man, I rather enjoyed Dinner Music. It reminds me of a 1940s lullaby record my mother played for me as an infant. The string musicians on track 6 are just lovely. Track 7 made me giggle and dance a few steps across the room. Brad, I think I might just love this saccharine white-bread record.

    Thanks for this one and for all of the shares on all three blogs. I am sorry for not saying it daily. In my list of the best things online in 2006, your sharity is number 1. No contest. Thank you.

    By Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team, at 10:08 PM  

  • Technology it great, you can clean up 79 cent records.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 PM  

  • Blogs like these are a sound for sore ears!
    Working as a graphic artist under the pen-name Pontiac for almost 40 years now I've got a lot of Pontacalia, one of them 'Western Songs' on the same Pontiac-label. Unfortunately it broke, which is sad since it contained some great yodeling (anonymous) cowboys. (On the back 32 other 'sensational PONTIAC "long play" records' are listed, the 2 that are placed on this blog included.)
    I was hoping my cowboy-tunes would be featured here, to no avail sadly enough. Anybody out there can help me to find them back?

    By Blogger pontiac, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home