AudiOddities

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Some Minnesota Dinner Show Humour, he says...

This is gonna be a quickie, but I found this interesting LP at the thrift store, in really really cruddy shape, only in a record inner sleeve, no jacket, no nothing. So, I says, I think I'll take a flyer on this one... and boy am I glad I did.

The Betty Rydell Trio was a lounge act that played through the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota area in the late 60s, and that's about all I know about them. A friend of mine from Minnesota says they were hilarious and that he has seen them several times back there, and I can, after listening to this while getting all the pops and clicks out, concur!

This was released on the "United Audio Recording" label, with a very familiar looking UA logo, but it is from a local Minneapolis record pressing house. The track numbers are a little different than the label, because I have split out some of the comedy bits from the music. Oh yea, for a trio, they play pretty darn good stuff. Here's the LP then, without further ado:

Betty Rydell Trio - Setting the Pace at Paul's Place

Zorba The Greek
Jerky Jerry
It Must Be Him
The Chicken Song
Ob La Di
Midol
Folsom Prison Blues
Midnight Cowboy
Twelfth Street Rag
Aquarius / Let The Sun Shine In
The Impossible Dream
He Taught Me How To Yodel

Enjoy this little comedy audio-oddity, there'll be more coming soon!

14 Comments:

  • Betty Rydell Trio Universal Audio Corp. # UAS 548-49600 Item number: 4800250940

    Look what I found on ebay

    It shows the jacket cover, if you are curious what it looks like.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 PM  

  • THANKS!!! I'll add this soon!

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 1:58 AM  

  • Hey Brad, love the yodel tune. Have a version posted at my site by Rosie Allen with Shorty Warren and his Western Rangers. Thanks for sharing your records on your blogs! Really enjoying them this summer.

    By Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team, at 12:18 PM  

  • Sounds like this might be the same Betty Rydell. A quick search popped up Betty as still performing all over the country - pop, country and western, and religious. Go gal go! Fun stuff. Thanks again for the share, and congrats on it not being a dud!

    By Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team, at 12:16 PM  

  • I saw Betty and her trio many times as a kid- my parents would drag us to Paul's Place on the weekends. They also used to come over to our house and sing. Betty and my mom were good friends and Betty used to call me up on stage to dance with her- I was way, way too embarrassed to give in but always loved their shows. She played many instruments (around 20?) and believe it or not she still does shows today. We're going to see her in a couple of weeks in Northern Minnesota...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 PM  

  • I saw Betty and her trio many times as a kid- my parents would drag us to Paul's Place on the weekends. They also used to come over to our house and sing. Betty and my mom were good friends and Betty used to call me up on stage to dance with her- I was way, way too embarrassed to give in but always loved their shows. She played many instruments (around 20?) and believe it or not she still does shows today. We're going to see her in a couple of weeks in Northern Minnesota...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

  • Whoo Haaa Great Stuff Love the Chicken Song

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

  • Betty Rydell is still kicking! And, she is going to be performing at my wedding the end of June, 2007!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 AM  

  • I saw Betty yesterday at the Eagles club in Minneapolis. She just made a new C.D. release, "Hooked on Yodeling". She had just came from a performance, and is still beautful! July 23rd, 2007

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM  

  • Hey--this is interesting. I attended "Sound of Music" at the Ordway last week. One of the kids in the play is the child of a former piano student of mine.
    Anyway reading the program it listed this girl singing at the Betty Rydell Country Christmas at Medina Ballroom.
    So the story goes on--My name is Arlene Sands, and I played piano lounge in Paul's Bar--in 1968 when Betty Rydell trio was in the dining room.

    Small world.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM  

  • I knew Betty, her (then) husband, Bob, and the third in the trio, Jake, when they were at Paul's Place and then segued to The Manor on West 7th Street in St. Paul. She was then, and going by the pictures I found through Google, still is a beautiful lady, both inside and out. The trio was fun, funny, sometimes cutting edge (thanks, Jake) but always entertaining. It's good to see her face again on Google. Hello Betty. Marcie Lee

    By Blogger Marcie, at 1:48 PM  

  • Hi! Anyone still monitoring this? I would love to be able to hear those Betty Rydell Trio songs again!
    I played with them at the Stillwater Prison and they were great friends of my family...
    Please contact me at b i l l At alphabetas.com
    remove the spaces and use the @ sign of course :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:43 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:44 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home