AudiOddities

Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Parent's Worst Nightmare!




It's a Small World After All.

You may now run screaming into the hills.

This is actually an early version, perhaps even the original (gonna do research to see if this is the case)... it is the actual souvenir record from the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. Disney teamed up with Pepsi-Cola and had their ride around a large mobile (told about on the jacket cover). The audio quality is typical Disney, but I think you can get the idea...

An interesting side note, the "It's A Small World" attraction is no longer in existence, at either the Los Angeles or the Florida Disney parks! Do I hear cheers of Huzzah! or do I sense a little pang of remorse.... there's a great site about what's there and not there anymore at DisneyWorld, you'll have to Google it, because I lost the URL. Silly me.

Click on the link for full size scans of the front and the back... if you want 'em.

9 Comments:

  • Yes, a total nightmare...but thanks anyway. You're going to make a ittle 4 year old girl very happy.

    btw, the It's A Small World attraction is still at Disneyland in Anaheim. I was just on it about 4 months ago - and it was the exact same as it's always been, nothing changed. Actually my favorite ride of the trip.
    thanks again!

    http://magicofjuju.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger ZubZub, at 3:27 PM  

  • VEry cool, I had heard it was gone... looks like the Internet 'truth' factor bit me in the butt...

    I'm happy though that I could bring some joy :)

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 7:24 PM  

  • Hi Brad,
    Great to hear the entire version of 'small world' the yodeling part goes on a little too long though, I guess they had to fill the full-length ride time, what's wild is hearing the actual ending....but wonder is there really an ending when a repititious classic plays on a record makes it totally endearing ! Byron in Los Angeles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

  • I think they stuck on the ending in-studio, but that's my opinion... it IS pretty over-the-top though!

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 4:25 PM  

  • btw It's a Small World is at ALL The Disney Parks Execpt for Hong Kong Disneyland, but it is going to open there in 2008.

    This version does not sound like the Walt Disney World (FL) version.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 AM  

  • Well, I guess I won't be ripping my copy of this album anytime soon... Though I've also got a 12" that Disney released a few years later.

    Sort of the same story as Zenman, a lady I was friends with actually worked on the "Small World" ride when it was at the World's Fair (I don't remember exactly what her job was -- probably taking tickets). She absolutely loathed the song because of the experience, and it DID work its way into her nightmares!

    By Blogger Vinnie Rattolle, at 9:15 AM  

  • I think the website you're referring to that showcases all of the attractions that are no longer at Disneyland is:
    http://www.yesterland.com/
    Great website that.

    --KK

    By Blogger Kovina Kris, at 2:34 PM  

  • Wowsers ! Now I can have that wandering my mental pathways once again. When I was 14 and at the NYC Fair I could'nt wait to get off the damn ride.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM  

  • i dated someone who ran the it's a small world ride in California. It was a nightmare.

    By Blogger David Totty, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home