AudiOddities

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Marino Marini - Pop della Italiano




I was debating whether or not to put this one here, or over on the MoodieToonz site, but since I already have a couple of 10-inch EPs here, I decided that this Italian EP was strange enough to merit being here instead of there.

Apparently, according to my very lousy Italian, Marino Marini has worked with people like Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Kenton, and Charlie Ventura, and his guitar playing is not bad, even on the attempts at covering American pop and early rock'n'roll tunes. It may come out a bit comedic, but pop there was a whole lot different than pop here at the time...

This is a cute EP, and note the label... yes, it says "Durium". the 78 collectors reading this will find that eyebrow-raising...

Full size scans are here:
front
back
a scan of the Durium label

So, here we present a slice of Italy from 1955, Marino Marini ed il suo Quartetto.

And, yes, the ALF record went away. I'll repost it later when I can get a better encode of it.

8 Comments:

  • 1. Excuse my poor english (frenchies are not very good for foreign languages...)
    2. I had wuen i was a very young man (about 14 years !) a record of Marino Marini. That's not good music, but rather pleasant, at th "second degree", we say. A certain idea of "yougness" and "modernity" in the old days. Thanx for this record.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM  

  • No problems on your english! I used to mangle French occasionally, I need to go back to someplace like Montpellier and learn it again :)

    I agree, this is kind of enjoyable fluff, good music, but still not quite at the level of the other Italian EP of Renato Rascel.

    Thanks for your comments, mon ami!

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 2:19 AM  

  • Your Dylan Thomas only loads
    Part I = incomplete
    won't unrar

    Marino Marini
    I get the first download
    dialogue
    but nothing else happens
    either as run
    or download

    rayk334@myway.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • I get all the RARs that you mentioned, you might want to try again... the fileserver has had issues over the last day or two...

    By Blogger The Impaler, at 10:10 PM  

  • Nice one for this record. I burned a few tunes for my Mum. Guarda De Luna, a 45 by the same group was one of her favourite holiday records. Good to see you're back in business!!!

    By Blogger wooodenelephant, at 4:54 PM  

  • There are things in this world that defy explanation and this blog is amazing! The only tip I can give to you is check out www.luxuriaMusic.com. You'll see what I'm talking about, I really think you'll dig what they're doing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 AM  

  • The Italian quarteto Marino Marino was very popular in Portugal during the 1960's (?).

    They were the official music entertainers for the cycling Tour of Portugal, performing the evenings in town squares after each race with live Radio and TV transmission by Portuguese RDP and RTP

    Marino Marino is still foundly remembered by miilions of Portuguese cycling fans and lovers of Italian pop music.

    Are they still alive ??? Who knows ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 PM  

  • my exposure to marino marini is because of the beatles. on the bbc radio programs, they performed "the honeymoon song" aka "bound by love". it was from the movie "the honeymoon". i believe marino did the song in the soundtrack. his is the only other version of this little gem that i could find.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home